Tuesday 28 May 2013

Cosplay Idea #6 - Piers Nivans (China Outfit)

Character Name: Piers Nivans
Origin: Video Game - Resident Evil 6
Height: Just average (although I'm pretty tall and it didn't matter!)
Eye Colour: Green
Hair Colour: Light Brown
Hair Length: Short
Personality: Loyal, committed, professional.

So this was my costume for MCM EXPO the weekend just gone.  It was slightly rushed because I didn't realise I was going until a couple of weeks before, so some of it isn't entirely accurate, and I was very worried this would be picked up on and no one would really recognise the character.  HOWEVER!  I had the absolute best time, met the best people, and everyone complimented the costume and recognised who I was :)


I'm Piers, on the right!
Uniform

So the first thing you notice about Piers is his military uniform.  Most of it is generic uniform, but with adjustments and alterations.  The t-shirt is very hard to find, and unless you can sew like a genius you're never going to get it dead on.  So I went to an outdoors clothing place and found a cream long-sleeve shirt for £3.49 and settled for that, and I'm very glad I did!  I only used a BSAA badge as an accessory to the t-shirt simply because I didn't have time to get the other badges, and I just bought one off eBay.  The vest on top of the jacket is also very hard to find, or I might just be looking at the wrong thing entirely, but I just got a forest-camo flak jacket and it did the job nicely, it contrasted enough with the t-shirt too so it stood out.  On to the jacket, I just used the velcro backing to the pouch on the breast pocket to securely strap on a pistol magazine pouch.  The final touch I made was strapping some spiral cord thing around the front a little to give off the impressions of having a radio.

The trousers are simply digital-camo trousers.  The reasons for this is because I couldn't find any other fitting trousers and also this camo pattern is American, so I wouldn't actually be confused with an actual soldier!  And especially with the events in Woolwich, that could be quite dangerous as well.  The trousers were fine though, and since the pattern on Piers's knee pads are digital-camo too, it made a nice contrast.

The final additions are a pair of tan coloured boots, and the most important item of all: the neck scarf!  The neck scarf can also be called a shemagh, or a sniper veil, so if you're having a hard time looking for one, give those a few searches.  The one I actually used was actually a lighter colour than it should have been, but the fact that any form of neck scarf is easily recognised as Piers makes it a very versatile accessory.


Gun

Piers has his main gun, the Anti Material Rifle, and then a default assault rifle/UMP sort of gun, then throughout the game he obtains a shotgun, another sniper rifle and a grenade launcher.  The Anti Material Rifle itself is basically a giant sniper rifle.  I don't have much knowledge on the best place to buy prop guns, or airsoft guns, and I have no experience in making prop versions of my own, so I simply strapped a holster to my leg and spray painted a plastic handgun black.  The majority of people I saw from the Resident Evil universe also used handguns.

No comments:

Post a Comment